(See THIS for scientific back-up for that statement.)
So let’s start with the DON’Ts first:
- DON’T spend a lot of time with people who treat you like rubbish, or consistently make you feel bad about yourself.
- DON’T assume that you are to blame for other people in your life not being happy, fulfilled, or satisfied with their lives, or that you are responsible for somehow ‘fixing’ their problems.
- DON’T keep putting other people ahead of yourself, to the point where you start to feel completely depleted and ‘empty’. (The one exception to this is probably your kids, particularly younger kids below the age of 13 or so).
- DON’T believe all the propaganda that depression is caused by chemical imbalances - no chemical imbalance has ever been proven to cause ANY mental illness, despite 30 years’ of research - (see THIS for scientific back-up for that statement)
- DON’T accept that your depression is something you’re going to have to deal with for the rest of your life. As soon as you work out who and / or what is triggering it, and take the steps required to protect yourself from those people and circumstances, you’ll find that your depressions will lessen, shorten, and eventually disappear by themselves.
Now, the DOs.
According to Chinese Medicine principles, depression is caused by a weakness in the Spleen Meridian. (See HERE for more background on that.)
The following things will strengthen your Spleen Meridian, and work on the physical state of inner exhaustion that leads to the symptoms typically associated with clinical depression:
- DO exercise and / or dancing regularly. Regular exercise (i.e. 30 mins x 3 days a week) has been scientifically-proven to be more effective than drugs at getting people - and keeping people - out of depression.
- DO read up about what the Homolateral energy state is, and how’s it’s majorly contributing to your feelings of depression. Then, work on getting out of it by doing the 'How to get out of Homolateral' exercise at least twice a day for up to six weeks.
- DO strengthen your Spleen Meridian energy - by using acupressure points, or by tracing your meridians. (See THIS for practical guidance on how to do that)
- DO treat yourself with kindness and compassion: absolutely no beating yourself up, or telling yourself negative things.
- DO take some time to talk to God about the people and / or circumstances that are really bringing you down, and what to do about them.