The short answer is ‘yes’ - but only if you really get to grips with what is actually causing it, and understand what you have to do to overcome it.
There are many different types of psychological trauma that all of us experience all the time. If someone treats us cruelly, embarrasses us in public, steals from us, hurts us (physically, emotionally, financially, psychologically…) - all of these things can cause a psychological trauma to the person that’s experiencing them.
The intensity of that trauma will depend on the following main factors:
So, assuming the worst case scenarios across all categories - it was a repeated, deep hurt that was inflicted by someone very close to you, and it happened at a very inauspicious age in relation to the developing brain - HOW THE HECK DO YOU GET OVER IT?!?!?
The first thing to say is that the brain is plastic, and just as it was ‘trained’ or conditioned or wired to react in a traumatised fashion, it can be re-trained, re-conditioned and re-wired to start to act in a more helpful fashion.
Self-education is a very important part of this process, and I highly recommend the following books:
Pete Walker’s: Complex PTSD - from surviving to thriving - is a great, easy to read book that really sets things out very clearly, and gives a wealth of concrete advice and practical tips for HOW to start retraining your brain.
You can see his website here:
Pete Walker, M.A. Psychotherapy
As a starting point, take a look at his 13 steps for managing flashbacks (which I ‘riffed’ on to do the following infographic:)
Another excellent book to read, although some people find it a little ‘scholarly’, is Bessel Van Der Kolk’s The Body Keeps the Score.
This article is a good introduction to the book’s main approach:
The lifelong cost of burying our traumatic experiences
The key thing to understand is that trauma changes the physiological processes in the brain, and causes people to become oversensitised, jumpy, ‘stressed out’, overwhelmed etc.
Trauma is often ‘stuck’ in the body, and has to be viscerally released, not just talked about endlessly for years in therapy.
I’ve pulled together a whole bunch of suggestions that tackle psychological trauma across all three levels of body, mind and soul on my website, and you can see that here:
c-ptsd 101: I've got c-ptsd! now what do i do to get rid of it?
But the short answer is that it CAN be overcome, once you know what actually caused it, how it’s really affecting you, and what types of things you really need to do to overcome it.
I’m taking a break from posting about ‘Electric People’, as I haven’t got time over the Summer holidays, with the kids home, to do all the research required for the next chapter. It will return soon, BH!
In the meantime, I just wanted to share what’s been going on with my eye, which kind of underlines why I started exploring a more ‘spiritual self-help’ approach to mental and physical health in the first place.
For as long as I can remember, conventional medicine just hasn’t worked for me. Whether it’s been big problems, smaller problems, whenever I’ve turned to a conventional doctor, they never really had a solution that resolved my problems - and not for lack of trying.
Up until a few years’ back, I dutifully did whatever the medical experts told me - and usually not only did it not help, there were occasions when it even made things worse.
That’s when I started going down the more ‘alternative’ route, and initially, being super-fanatical about the food I was eating made a huge difference…
But not all the difference. And over time, the same health issues reappeared again, regardless of whether I was eating my sprouted spelt bread and drinking a green smoothie every day.
That’s when I started to realize that something else is going on here, when it comes to human health.
If the ‘problem’, whatever it is, is really only at the body level of a person - that they’re aren’t sleeping enough or eating enough vits, etc - then doing things at the ‘body’ level will resolve the problem.
It should be noted here that conventional medicine ONLY deals with health issues - bizarrely, even emotional and mental health issues - at the level of the body, and often in such a clumsy way, their ‘solution’ can end up causing more damage than the original problem.
But there are two more stages of the human experience that also profoundly impact our health, too, namely our mind, mental state and emotions, and our soul, or spiritual connection to God.
If ‘the health problem’, whatever it is, is actually rooted in either the mental / emotional or spiritual realms, then just tackling it at the level of the body simply isn’t going to work.
And that’s why conventional medicine really doesn’t work for me. Now that I eat well enough, and I exercise enough, and I sleep enough, there’s really nothing else to do on that front. All my health issues - yes, I’m talking about my physical health issues here - are rooted in negative states of mind, unhelpful subconscious processes and spiritual unfinished business.
No pill is going to help me get over the anger that’s causing my inner tension, headaches and eye strain.
Only changing my attitudes and behaviors (with a little help from God…), and really understanding why I’m angry in the first place, can do that.
Again, if the problem is rooted in the physical realm, then a physical response or medication will help to clear it up. But if it isn’t, or if some of the problem at least is rooted in mental / emotional and / or spiritual stuff, then taking a solely physical approach simply isn’t going to work to curing it.
And that’s why conventional medicine really doesn’t work for me - and that’s also why it’s increasingly not working for a whole bunch of other people, too.
Before we continue looking at HOW human health is being impacted by ions and protons and electrons in our environment, I thought it would be useful to give a brief rundown of how our solar system actually works.
For example, every time a comet, or some other foreign body enters our solar system, it will have a profound affect on the electro-magnetic forces acting on the earth itself, and on the people who live here.
Comets are coming into our solar system all the time, from tiny meteors to massive planet-sized bits of electrically charged rock. And all of these extra-terrestial 'visitors' impact you and me, and our health, and our mood, in some way.
Read on to discover the mechanism for how this works.
THE ‘JAMES McCANNEY’ EXPLANATION OF SPACE WEATHER
Independent astro-physicist has developed what he calls the Plasma Discharge Comet Model, which explained the following:
The key point to remember from this section is that the solar system is dynamically electric - and NOT electrically ‘neutral’, as NASA claims - and that comets interact with the sun, and the earth, and every other planet / moon / body out there in an ELECTRIC fashion.
HOW COMETS AFFECT SPACE WEATHER - AND HUMAN HEALTH
As mentioned above, whenever an object enters our solar system, it starts to interact, electrically, with the sun, the moon, planet earth, and everything else to be found in our particular corner of space.
All of these interactions lead to changes in the earth's electro-magnetic field, in the solar wind, and in the amount of radiation bombarding planet earth. In turn, this will affect our health and outlook in the ways I've been describing in previous posts. But here's what's going on from a 'space weather' perspective:
1) The sun produces far more ‘electric energy’ than light energy.
2) The earth has a huge, vertical electrical field that is sustained by the sun’s electrical power distribution system. The current of this field is stored in the earth’s ionosphere, and the air in our atmosphere is what’s called ‘dielectric material’.
3) Usually, the earth’s magnetic field protects us and buffers us from the sun’s energy. When the electrical conditions in our solar system start to change rapidly, as the result of an additional ‘body’ starting to engage the sun and increase the amount of ‘charge’ going into and out of the the ‘solar battery’, the electrical fields and currents that we’re subject to down here on planet earth start to go haywire as the sun discharges more, and greater, solar flares.
4) When something like a large comet approaches our solar system, as soon as it reaches the outer edge of the planets, the solar system’s ‘electricity’ starts to ratchet up to much higher levels.
5) More electrification = more energy in the earth’s atmosphere and the earth’s oceans = more evaporation of water = more ‘haze’ in the atmosphere. In turn, this triggers off a bunch of ‘climate change’ phenomena like:
7) Our earth’s magnetic field is made up of many layers, some of which are ‘stable’, but most of which are variable, and highly affected by what’s occurring in the atmosphere around them.
8) The variable part of the magnetic field can be temporarily reversed, or ‘flipped’, for short periods of time as a result of massive solar storms and / or comets passing very close by to the earth.
9) Every planet / moon / comet / object in the solar system generates some sort of ‘magnetic field’ as a result of its electrical interaction with the sun, including our own moon. That’s why new moons have the biggest impact on the earth’s weather (and on living organisms, as previously explained.)
10) Planet earth’s magnetic field diverts the ‘solar wind’ - that current of electrically charged photons that’s constantly streaming our way from the sun - from the planet.
11) The closer a comet of size comes to the sun, the more electrical discharge starts to happen, which causes more energy in the solar atmosphere, leading to more and stronger solar flares, which in turn can affect or alter the earth’s magnetic field structure - leading to crazy weather, climate change phenomena, and even crazier people.
In case you're wondering what this really has to do with you, the answer is: TONS!!!!
For example, just a couple of days' ago on July 8th, there was a big solar flare that instantly hit the earth with tons more ionising radiation than we usually get.
(Take a look at the video below:)
As well as causing atmospheric changes that are relatively easy to pick up - i.e. skin burns faster and deeper in the sun, even though it doesn't FEEL particularly hot or dangerous - as we've been learning here on spiritualselfhelp, these peaks and changes in the subtle electro-magnetic balance of our planet also directly affects the bio-electrical signals of the human body.
We've seen that after solar flares and solar storms, there's huge rises in depression and attempted suicides - but that's only what's been measured and recognized. The real links between 'space weather' and human health and outlook are still really being ignored or deliberately missed.
So if you were feeling a bit peaky on Saturday July 8, or a bit unwell, or a bit 'down' - it could well boil down to the effects of that extra radiation in the solar wind playing havoc with your internal bio-electricity.
Mind-blowing, isn't it!