- It gets you to do a whole bunch of 'bad' things as a response to feeling threatened in someway, like:
- Blow up in rage (fight);
- Lock yourself in your bedroom when your spouse wants a serious conversation (flight);
- Break out in a cold sweat and be unable to think when you have a deadline to meet (freeze)
- These responses are the foundation of every single one of your negative emotions and 'bad' character traits, like anger, rage, fear, panic, worry, hatred, etc. Once you understand where the impulse to do 'bad' is coming from, in every sense of the word, then you can start to deal with it.
How to defuse the fight or flight response: work on Triple Warmer
The easiest, fastest, most effective way to tackle your bad traits and negative emotions, and to reduce your levels of fear, anger and stress is to approach the problem holistically, body and soul.
The soul approach: is to get G-d involved in the problem ASAP, and start trying to talk to Him every single day about what's bothering you. The more you talk to G-d, and the more you actually believe in Him, the safer you start to feel (yes, really! Try it for yourself) - and the less Triple Warmer feels threatened and goes beserk.
The body approach: is to talk to Triple Warmer using it's own language, ie energy, to get it to calm down and come off high alert.
So how do we do that? 'Energy Medicine' has a whole bunch of techniques, but I'm going to bring the two fastest and easiest ones here.
Technique one: tap the 'fear' points on the hand
When you tap on the outside of the hand, between the joints of your ring and pinkie finger, you are sending an energy signal to your nervous system that all is well, and that it doesn't have to be scared.
Start tapping when you are actively feeling the fear - ie, the siren is going off, they are making cuts at work, your mother-in-law is coming to stay for two months - and keep going until you feel the fear subside.
You can still think about the 'problem' or issue afterwards - it didn't zap it out of your memory banks - but you've disabled the stress response that makes you over-react or react unhelpfully.
This is working directly on the Triple Warmer Meridan, which goes from the temples, up behind the ears and down both arms to the ring finger (yes, THAT's why you get so many tension headaches…)
Put your fingers on your temples, and take a deep breath in. Exhale, and take your fingers up behind your ears, using some gentle pressure. Trace down behind your ears, down your neck, to your shoulders. Hang your hands on your neck for as long as it feels good, then drop your hands away.
Mentally, it helps to imagine yourself throwing all the worries away, when your hands drop.
The more you do this, the more you'll calm down Triple Warmer, energetically.
(You can also get Triple Warmer to calm down by working on your neurovascular points, but that's a post for another time.)
In the meantime, try these two techniques as much as you can, and feel free to email me if you have any feedback or questions.
- This information is excerpted from my new book, 'Talk to God and Fix Your Health', coming out in the Fall, BH.