You can see the paper for yourself HERE (scroll down to the bottom of the page), and I highly recommend reading it if you’re at all interested in this subject, but here’s the main points:
- The earth’s electrical rhythm sets the human hormonal clock - the pineal gland is directly affected by the earth’s natural rhythm.
- Being in direct contact (i.e. skin contact) with free electrons from the earth’s surface can neutralize free radicals and thereby reduce acute and chronic inflammation.
To quote Oschman: “Virtually every modern disease, including the diseases usually tied to aging, have been linked with chronic inflammation.”
- Free radicals are the hallmark of chronic inflammation - the fewer ‘free radicals’ in the body, the less inflammation you get.
- Earthing (i.e. being in skin contact with the earth’s surface) affects the production of cortisol - the so-called ‘stress’ hormone. Less cortisol = less stress = less inflammation = less illness = less flight-or-flight tendencies.
To put this into more plain English, earthing the body means that that there are more ‘free’ electrons available to bind to - and neutralize - the free radicals that can do so much harm to human health.
- Cells are electrically-charged polymer networks. Again, this is scientificall proven beyond the shadow of a doubt - people are electric, not just mechanical!
To find that out, you’ll have to read Oschman’s paper for yourself… But take heart, because it’s an easy read and well worth the effort.